10 June 2013

Crimea, Ukraine May 2013

As a result of our experiences in Russia & the Ukraine last year we both would like to encourage others to learn some basic Russian and the Cyrillic alphabet as a really important way of improving a visit to either of the countries. I had evening classes for six months before we left and was not able to say much more than a few basic phrases   but it was very much appreciated by local people and as a result we felt our experiences were almost 100% positive, unlike many travellers we met who did not make the effort and wondered why they had more negative responses. People in the region can sometimes appear rather stern and severe on the outside but my experience was that a few words in Russian soon changed all that and those we met quickly relaxed and were kind and helpful.

As part of our preparation for travelling to Russian speaking countries again in the next couple of years I have been continuing my evening classes and my holiday this year was to a wonderful place near Yalta in the Crimea, Ukraine where I was able to live in a small guest house with a local family, have some tuition in Russian and then practice what I had learned with them, as well explore the local area which is both beautiful and historically interesting.  I found the food to be delicious despite all the constraints of my diet (I am a Coeliac with Liver problems so not easy to feed) and I felt very well looked after by Valentina and her team.  See their website at http://www.muschinskaya.com/index.en.php 


I had a wonderful ten days there which was not nearly long enough and would highly recommend it.




View of Black Sea from the Sunshine Path

Local beach at Miskor

Yalta

Ai Petri mountain from the garden

Studying on the terrace

Yalta from the sea

Ai Petri mountain





1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol,

    Mike told Eddy you had been on your travels so popped to have a peek at the photos.

    Learning Russian is quite a challenge so well done you, I always think 'locals' really appreciate the gesture of even a few words in their language, after all most of the world can say a few in English.

    Although only a short visit we have been to the Black Sea and it has some beautiful scenery as your photos show.

    In July/August we will be going from Barcelona to Athens up to the Sea of Mamara, Istanbul and Bestikas, but that's as far as our travels will be taking us this time round.

    B x

    ReplyDelete